What Kind of Jewelry to Give as a Graduation Present
It's the time of year when college graduates all over the country are celebrating a significant milestone in their life. Friends and family members want to find the perfect gift to honor their grad's achievements and show how much they care. Jewelry makes a valuable and personal memento a graduate can treasure for a lifetime.
If you feel overwhelmed by options, we're here to help. You can find a piece of jewelry a graduate will love and feel proud to wear. In this post, we'll share tips to help you select the right piece of graduation jewelry for male and female grads.
Tips for Choosing Graduation Jewelry
Most graduates appreciate any piece of jewelry they receive as a gift. Jewelry conveys affection and support like no other present. The following tips will help you select thoughtful jewelry a graduate will feel confident wearing to their first post-college interview or with their favorite outfit. With the following tips in mind, you can find jewelry to help a grad jumpstart a timeless collection.
1. Keep It Simple
You'll want to choose a piece of jewelry a graduate can match with other pieces throughout their life. Their style will change as they grow and have new experiences. Aim to pick out a simple, functional piece of jewelry that will look great paired with a variety of styles. You'll also want to select a subtle piece of jewelry a graduate will feel comfortable wearing when they land their first professional job. Examples of highly versatile pieces include diamond earrings, a pearl necklace or an initial pendant.
2. Consider Their Metal Preference
When choosing a simple yet stunning piece of jewelry, you'll need to consider the type of metal your grad likes to wear. Your gift may influence other pieces of jewelry they add to their collection, so it's crucial to choose the metal thoughtfully. First, observe the type of metal the graduate already regularly wears. Do they seem to prefer gold, silver or rose gold? Have they talked to you about their favorite type of metal?
If you're not sure which metal they like best, you might ask someone else who's close to them. Another option is to choose a metal that complements their skin tone. Here are a few tips for choosing a flattering metal type.
- Darker skin tones: Gold looks gorgeous against olive or darker skin tones.
- Fair skin tones: Sterling silver or white gold complements fair skin beautifully.
- Any skin tone: Rose gold looks stunning against dark or light skin tones.
3. Consider Gemstone Meaning
Throughout history, humans have worn jewelry for its magical properties, as status symbols or to show their commitment to a group or individual. Graduation is the perfect opportunity to give a loved one a symbolic gift.
Life after college can feel intimidating to a new grad. A meaningful piece of jewelry can remind them of their strength, determination and dreams. It can also serve as a good-luck charm, and help them stay in a positive mindset as they journey into adulthood.
You might consider a colorful piece of gemstone jewelry. A delicate piece of gemstone jewelry adds a pop of color and energy to any style and can complement a variety of accessories. Consider incorporating the following gemstones into your graduation gift.
- Emerald: Emeralds, which get their vibrant green color from chromium, were highly prized in ancient Rome for having calming effects. Like any green gemstone, emeralds have a reputation for bringing luck in business and money matters. You might present a graduate with an emerald pendant to wish them good fortune as they embark on a career in business.
- Diamond: Diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas," which means "indestructible." Diamonds are the most enduring material on earth and are typically billions of years old. In ancient times, people wore diamonds to increase strength and invincibility. Diamonds make the perfect gemstone for male or female graduates to help them conquer their fears and take on new challenges.
- Ruby: Rubies are powerful gemstones believed to attract wealth, protect wearers from harm and bring luck in love. Ancient kings wore rubies to accumulate wealth, and soldiers wore them to protect themselves from weapon wounds. A common superstition held that if a king dreamed of a crown set with rubies, he would have great joy and fortune. You might give a graduate ruby jewelry to inspire them to reach success.
- Sapphire: People have long adored sapphires for their deep blue color. Sapphires are traditional gemstones of royalty, and believed to attract wealth and protect the wearer from envy. Sapphires also promote peace and good health.
- Amethyst: An amethyst is a richly colored purple gemstone often worn for healing and to bring the wearer courage and peace. You might give a graduate an amethyst piece of jewelry to help them maintain a sense of balance as they experience a new stage in life.
- Citrine: Citrine is a buttery yellow gemstone believed to promote success, wealth and clarity. Consider a radiant pair of citrine studs to inspire a sunny outlook.
- Lapis lazuli: Lapis lazuli is a striking blue color. It supposedly helps alleviate insomnia and depression and creates truthfulness and creativity — perfect for the artistic grad.
- Peridot: Peridot is a gemstone with a soothing shade of green. It has a reputation for slowing aging, healing relationships and promoting prosperity.
- Opal: An opal is a fascinating gemstone that shows a kaleidoscope of colors. Many cultures claim opals have supernatural powers. Opals have long been symbols of hope, purity and truth. Because an opal's fiery beauty can show all the colors, it's supposed to be the luckiest of all gemstones.
- Jade: Chinese culture highly values jade, which supposedly brings several benefits such as creativity, friendship, positive energy and good luck. Consider giving your grad jade jewelry to promote an overall sense of well-being.
- Turquoise: Cultures around the world wear turquoise, which is one of the oldest gemstones. Archaeologists have discovered turquoise in Egyptian tombs and carved by Chinese artisans thousands of years ago. Often the color of a cloudless blue sky, turquoise is a symbol of hope and positivity.
Graduation Gift Ideas for Females
A graduate may plan to find a professional job immediately after college. Now's your chance to buy a loved one a sophisticated piece of jewelry to complement a professional wardrobe. We'll look at classic pieces a graduate can wear to work or out on the town.
1. Diamond Earrings or Pendant
Diamonds are strikingly beautiful, timeless and go with any style for any occasion. Diamonds also look flattering with any skin tone. These universally gorgeous gemstones last a lifetime and can change with a graduate as she continues to learn and grow. You might choose diamond studs to illuminate her facial features or a delicate diamond pendant to add sparkle to her neckline. You'll remind your grad she's as enduring and brilliant as the diamond you bought her every time she looks in the mirror.
2. Birthstone Jewelry
Birthstone jewelry makes an excellent gift for a graduate. Many people love a piece of jewelry which represents the month they were born. Birthstone meanings vary across cultures, but generally, it's supposed to bring good luck if you wear your birthstone.
A grad can mix and match birthstone jewelry with any outfit, and enjoy this piece for a lifetime. For example, you might choose a captivating opal pendant for an October-born graduate, or a dazzling pair of ruby studs for a graduate who was born in July. Here's a list of months and their corresponding gemstones:
- January: Garnet
- February: Amethyst
- March: Bloodstone or aquamarine
- April: Diamond
- May: Emerald
- June: Alexandrite or pearl
- July: Ruby
- August: Peridot or sardonyx
- September: Sapphire
- October: Tourmaline or opal
- November: Citrine or topaz
- December: Turquoise
3. Pearl Studs or Necklace
Pearls add instant elegance to a professional wardrobe and make an excellent choice for a young woman ready to upgrade her style. Pearls have long been a symbol of purity, modesty and femininity. In Chinese culture, golden pearls supposedly bring luck and prosperity. Consider offering the gift of timeless pearl studs to a recent grad, or a subtle pearl necklace.
4. Personalized JewelryPersonalized jewelry makes a thoughtful gift for any occasion. Your grad will cherish a piece of jewelry that highlights her unique qualities or was made just for her. You might surprise her with a pendant engraved with an inspiring quote or a locket to remind her of the people that love and support her. Maybe she just graduated with a degree in veterinary science and would light up when she sees a pair of Dog Fever earrings. No matter what, try to choose something subtle that can go with anything, and consider her dreams, goals and experiences when choosing a custom piece.
Graduation Jewelry Ideas for Males
Although jewelry may not be the first gift idea that comes to mind for a male graduate, it's still worth considering. An elegant piece of jewelry adds to a polished look and can make a grad feel confident at an interview or their first day on the job. When choosing a piece of men's jewelry, go for something simple and functional. Your loved one is sure to treasure his gift for many years.
Most graduates would appreciate a high-quality watch to enhance their professional wardrobe and help them stay on time. To choose a watch for your recent grad, consider his style and when he'll likely wear a watch.
For example, if your grad has a sleek and sophisticated style, consider a versatile dress watch. A dress watch typically features a simple face and leather band. He can wear a dress watch with formal attire like a suit or casual business wear. If he has a more rugged style, he might prefer a waterproof dive watch.
2. Tie Bar
A tie bar adds flair to a professional wardrobe. It also keeps a tie straight and clean because it holds it in place. This functional and elegant accessory is a must-have for a grad who's ready to succeed.
To add a personal touch, consider engraving the back of a tie bar with a meaningful message or significant date. Try to choose a basic design he can wear with any tie for many years.
3. Cuff Links
Cuff links replace plain buttons used to fasten shirt cuffs. They are practical, elegant and add personality to a dress shirt. Although cuff links are a necessity for a formal look, grads can wear cuff links with casual shirts too if they wish. You could choose cuff links to match a tie bar for an impressive style.
Consider presenting your grad with a set of sophisticated black onyx cuff links to add contrast to a light-colored dress shirt. You might also consider engraving cuff links with the graduate's initials.
A ring can make an attractive fashion statement, especially when paired with another piece of jewelry like a watch. If you choose to get a graduate a ring to celebrate his accomplishments, you might share some tips on how to wear a ring. For example, a man typically wears his wedding band on his left ring finger. Men might prefer to wear rings on their pinky finger to make a statement and to avoid any cultural associations. A pinky ring might be an excellent gift choice for a grad with eye-catching style. The index finger may be a better spot for a ring if your grad has a subtle style. Many men prefer to wear class rings or signet rings on their index finger.
You might also recommend balancing the ring with other jewelry. For example, if your loved one wears a watch on his right wrist, suggest he wear the ring on his left hand or vice versa. The point is to avoid crowding jewelry together.
When choosing a ring for a graduate, try to match the ring metal to jewelry he currently wears. If he wears a silver watch, surprise him with a silver ring to match. Consider a bold silver signet ring with black jade, or pair a black onyx ring with black onyx cuff links.
Shop Jewelry for Grads at Mountz Jewelers
Graduation presents show how proud you are of your loved one's accomplishments and encourage them to keep believing in their dreams. Jewelry for graduation is a special, personal gift a grad can treasure far beyond their college days.
If you're looking for the perfect graduation jewelry to convey congratulations with love and joy, we'd be happy to help you make the right choice. At Mountz Jewelers, we understand choosing a jewelry gift can be a challenge. We're here to help you select a jewelry gift that speaks from your heart and suits your loved one's style. Visit us at one of our central Pennsylvania locations or shop our online store and find a timeless graduation gift today!