Jewelry is the perfect gift for a birthday. Jewelry is personal, thoughtful and affectionate. If you put your heart and mind into choosing a piece of jewelry for your loved one, they'll own something they can cherish forever.
The most important element in choosing a birthday gift is thoughtfulness. You want to find jewelry that is meaningful and suits your loved one's style. There's plenty to choose from, so we'll help you get started and share ideas to inspire you. An impressive birthday gift for that special someone is certainly within reach.
How to Get Gift Ideas
Jewelry shopping can feel like an intimidating experience for anyone, and you may not know where to begin. If you prepare ahead of time and have an idea of what you're looking for, you'll discover that jewelry shopping is much easier than you thought.
You'll want to start by thinking about your loved one's style. Once you know the type of jewelry they prefer, you can use that information to give you ideas and guide your decisions.
One of the easiest and quickest ways to determine a loved one's jewelry style is to observe the type of jewelry they already wear. Take notice of the jewelry your significant other wears every day, look at pictures of them or peek through their jewelry box. Keep your eyes open for the following details and take note of what you find:
- Type of metal: What type of metal does your loved one prefer? Do they mostly own gold, silver or rose gold jewelry? If you're not sure, consider their skin tone to help you pick a metal. Silver or white gold looks brilliant against fair skin, and yellow gold is a gorgeous choice for darker skin tones. Rose gold is flexible and works with any skin tone.
- Colored gemstones or diamonds: Does your loved one own a lot of diamond jewelry, or do they prefer colored gemstones? Maybe you'll notice they wear their favorite color often, which can help you choose their birthday gift.
- Bold or subtle: Every personality has a unique style preference. Maybe your girlfriend loves to pair bright, bold statement necklaces with her work outfits, or maybe she often wears a simple bangle bracelet for an elegant, timeless look. You'll find a large range of possibilities for all tastes.
- Type of jewelry: Some individuals only wear certain types of jewelry. For example, maybe your significant other only wears earrings and never wears bracelets. Take notice of the type of jewelry you see them wearing every day. Do they wear necklaces, bracelets, earrings or rings? If they wear a mix, you'll have plenty of options for a gift.
Birthday Jewelry for Her
If you're looking for birthday jewelry for your girlfriend, you are on the right path. Jewelry is a romantic gift that is sure to become a prized possession for your girlfriend. It also sends the message that you take the relationship seriously. Jewelry will turn your girlfriend's birthday into an occasion she won't forget. Here are winning birthday jewelry ideas for the lady you love in your life.
1. Personalized Necklace
A personalized piece of jewelry makes a memorable birthday gift. You might choose a versatile and timeless initial pendant in her favorite metal and add your initial to increase the romance. Or, you can give her a custom engraved pendant she can wear every day with any outfit.
If you opt for engraved jewelry, include a loving, personal message. Maybe there's a song lyric that has always reminded you of your girlfriend for example, or maybe she has a favorite quote that's meaningful to her. Search for something significant to her, and get it engraved on a pendant, bracelet or ring – whichever type of jewelry she prefers. If you're struggling to find the right words to express your love, consider transferring a special image to a pendant instead.
2. Elegant Pendant
If your girlfriend likes to wear simple, delicate jewelry, consider getting her an elegant pendant necklace for her birthday. You might choose a basic design like a dainty heart pendant necklace or a gentle pearl and diamond necklace. You can also consider a symbol pendant to convey a particular message such as:
- Horseshoe: Give your girlfriend years of good luck with a horseshoe pendant.
- Key: Choose a key pendant to represent the key to your heart.
- Butterfly: A butterfly pendant symbolizes beauty, elegance and joy.
- Infinity symbol: The infinity symbol shows your love is here to stay.
- Anchor: Give your girlfriend an anchor pendant to show your love is strong or to symbolize hope.
3. Charm Bracelet
One way to celebrate your girlfriend's unique personality, talents and interests on her birthday is to give her a charm bracelet. Show her you appreciate everything about her with thoughtfully selected charms.
For example, you might get her an elegant PANDORA bangle to hold the charms. If your girlfriend loves animals, surprise her with an adorable PANDORA Mouse and Balloon dangle charm, or if she enjoys curling up with a book, get her the PANDORA Love Reading charm. You can add a new charm each birthday to celebrate her growth as a person and the woman you love.
4. Birthstone Jewelry
Birthstone jewelry is a popular choice for a birthday gift and can look beautiful with any style. You can choose birthstone stud earrings or a radiant birthstone pendant necklace. If your girlfriend likes to wear rings, make her heart expand with joy with a birthstone ring especially for her.
The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) lists gemstones and corresponding months to help you choose the right birthstone:
- January:Garnet is a dark red gemstone that's said to evoke a sense of calm.
- February:Amethyst, a purple gemstone, brings power to the wearer.
- March: Aquamarine is a blue-green gemstone and represents utility.
- April: Diamond is the hardest gemstone and represents endurance.
- May: Emerald is a vibrant green gemstone said to bring joy to the wearer.
- June: Pearls are believed to bring clarity to the mind.
- July: Ruby is a deep red gemstone. It was believed to give the wearer strength and courage.
- August: Peridot is a green gemstone and has been found in meteorites.
- September:Sapphire is available in a variety of colors, but the most popular sapphire color is blue. Sapphire symbolizes loyalty.
- October: Opal consists of a rainbow of colors and represents hope. Tourmaline is also available in many colors and is said to bring strength.
- November: Citrine, a golden yellow gemstone, increases awareness. Topaz may either be yellow or light blue and brings prosperity.
- December: Turquoise brings a sense of peace to the wearer. Tanzanite is a purple-blue color that brings balance.
5. Relationship Memento
If you're still not sure what type of jewelry to get your girlfriend for her birthday, you can't go wrong with a piece of sentimental jewelry that represents your love for her and the relationship you share. Her birthday is the perfect time to express your commitment if you're ready to take the relationship to the next level. You might present her a promise ring, and promise to love her for many more birthdays. Or, you could give her a locket containing a meaningful photo of the two of you together.
Another idea is to get a pendant, ring or bracelet engraved with a significant message or date, like the date you first kissed or went on a trip together.
Birthday Jewelry for Him
Women who are looking for a birthday gift for their boyfriend shouldn't shy away from jewelry. Meaningful, attractive jewelry can be a stylish addition to your boyfriend's look. It can also be a powerful symbol of your love.
Choosing jewelry for a man might feel trickier than going to the store and picking up a piece of cute jewelry for yourself. However, with a few basics in mind, you can find a birthday jewelry gift to melt your boyfriend's heart that he'll also feel comfortable wearing.
Just remember KISS – Keep it Simple and Subtle. Look for functional, traditional pieces and avoid flashy, ornate jewelry. Men often favor earthy, casual jewelry made of natural materials like wood and fibers, or metals such as gold and silver. You can make jewelry personal with an engraving. It's most important to ask yourself what you can see your boyfriend wearing. You know best what he likes and will want to wear.
Keeping the above tips in mind, here are some birthday jewelry ideas for the special man in your life:
- Watch: A watch can add sophistication to any wardrobe and is a functional piece of jewelry a man can feel comfortable wearing. If your boyfriend wears rings or other jewelry, match the watch metal to the metal he already wears, or choose a simple, attractive leather band.
- Tie bar: A tie bar is part of a classic style. It clips to a tie and should be positioned between the third and fourth button of the shirt. It's also a functional accessory because it keeps the tie fastened to the shirt. If your boyfriend wears dress shirts and ties regularly, he'll appreciate this thoughtful gift. You can increase its sentimental value with an engraving on the back of the bar.
- Cuff links: Cuff links add a classy touch to a dress shirt and can help your boyfriend hold the cuffs in place. Choose metal cuff links for a formal look or a lighthearted design your boyfriend can wear during a regular workday. You might choose cuff links engraved with his initials or a special date.
- Engraved ring: A ring is a personal gift that sends a message of love and commitment. You might get your boyfriend a simple band or a timeless onyx ring engraved with a loving message.
If you decide to shop for birthday jewelry for your boyfriend, first observe his style and the type of jewelry you've seen him wear. If you feel stuck, an experienced jeweler can help you find the right jewelry based on your boyfriend's personality and style.
Jewelry Birthday Gift for Mom
Moms love jewelry for their birthday or any occasion. Jewelry makes a mom feel appreciated and loved as she deserves. Here are a few ideas to express your gratitude and admiration:
- Birthstone jewelry: Make your mom feel adored on her birthday with a stunning piece of birthstone jewelry. You might choose a pair of dazzling earrings or a radiant colored gemstone ring. You might also customize a pretty pendant like a heart or cross pendant by adding her birthstone.
- Versatile bracelet: If your mom is a bracelet lady, treat her to a high-quality bracelet for her birthday. Choose a simple design she can wear with any outfit. For example, a Charles Krypell bracelet with diamonds makes a subtle yet gorgeous bracelet to suit any style.
- Family pendant: Is there a family photo your mom holds close to her heart? Speak with a jeweler about transferring the photo to a piece of jewelry, like a metal pendant. Your mom will treasure the jewelry for its sentimental value and your thoughtfulness.
- Glamorous jewelry: Does your mom like to wear show-stopping jewelry? Look for dramatic necklaces with lots of sparkle or interesting shapes, or brilliant, bold earrings to highlight her beauty and make her feel like a queen.
- Charm bracelet: Charm bracelets make a great gift for moms. You can add charms for other occasions too, such as Mother's Day. If your mom is sentimental, help her start a meaningful charm collection on her birthday. You might give her birthstone charms to represent each child. A delicate Mom charm is sure to make her smile.
- Pearls: Pearls are timeless, feminine and ultra elegant. Pearls are a symbol of wealth and will make your mom feel spoiled on her birthday.
- Heartwarming jewelry: You mom's birthday is an excellent opportunity to warm her heart with a sweet message engraved on jewelry, or an adorable, unique piece of jewelry. For example, if your mom loves dogs, make her day with a piece of dog-themed jewelry from the Dog Fever line. If she enjoys cuddling with cats, browse the loveable and elegant Cat Fever line. Consider what's most meaningful to your mom – there are ways to incorporate it into a fine piece of jewelry.
Ask the Experts at Mountz Jewelers
If you've decided to buy jewelry for a loved one's birthday, you've made an excellent choice. Jewelry carries significant meaning for most people and is something your loved one will treasure. If you choose jewelry that speaks to their heart from yours, they'll think of your love every time they wear the jewelry. You'll make their birthday unforgettable.
If you're not sure what type of jewelry to get for your loved one, a jeweler can help you choose. Let them know what your loved one likes and dislikes, and they'll make knowledgeable suggestions. If you're looking to make the occasion even more memorable, be sure to view our blog post about creative ways to give your gift to a loved one. At Mountz Jewelers, we're excited to guide you through your shopping experience. We'll help you find the perfect birthday gift for your girlfriend, boyfriend, family member or beloved friend. If you're looking for something you can't find, we also offer custom jewelry design – perfect for sentimental jewelry ideas. You can start now and shop online, or visit us at one of our central Pennsylvania locations today!